Be part of a RISE UP Weekend to celebrate the safe relaunch of live arts events. RISE UP Calgary is searching for local presenting partners—groups or individuals—to collaborate with selected safe-site partner venues to produce and perform one, two and three-day RISE UP Weekend events this summer in Calgary! (dates TBD and are dependent on AHS regulations)
Details: As part of the safe relaunch of live events, RISE UP Calgary will be renting a number of local safe-site venues and collaborating with presenting partners to showcase up to 40 local live performances throughout the summer. These RISE UP Weekends will feature local live entertainment during one, two and three-day events (depending on the safe-site venue, presenting partner availability and preferred dates). If selected as a presenting partner, RISE UP will cover the rental and production costs of the venue you are matched with and offer up to a maximum of $5,000 to help with programming costs. Presenting partners will be responsible for the remainder of the costs and will keep revenue from ticket sales. If you have already scheduled dates with an approved venue partner, you can apply for programming support for those dates.
We welcome applications from organizations, groups or individuals working in all artistic disciplines and their various cultural forms, including circus arts, craft arts, community and social practice, curation, dance, Deaf/deaf arts, digital arts, disability arts, film, Indigenous arts, literature, media arts, multidisciplinary practice, music and sound, performance, theatre, and visual arts.
Presenting Partner Requirements:
- The presenting partner must adhere to all municipal and provincial public health guidelines and have appropriate permits, permissions and approvals as legislated.
- When matched with a RISE UP partner venue, presenting partners will work directly with the venue, with liaison support from the RISE UP Calgary team.
- Presenting partners will be asked to select their top three choices for collaboration from a list of partner venues.
- Presenting partners will be asked to select all dates they are available to partner on.
- Presenting partners must be able to provide all entertainment production, stage and ticket management. The venue partner will be responsible for audio, lighting, technical requirements, audience management, amenities and all staffing for the venue.
- Presenting partners must have availability for one, two and/or three weekend dates between July 1, 2021 and September 30, 2021, Friday-Sunday.
- Organizations must either be based in Calgary or be able to demonstrate that they make significant contributions to the arts that are accessible to Calgary’s citizens on an ongoing basis.
*Presenting partners will be requested, but not required, to use RISE UP’s preferred ticketing partner ShowPass for ticketing of event(s). The presenting partner will be required to manage their own ticketing account and ticket sales for the show.
Presenting Partner Criteria:
- Priority will be given to partners who demonstrate a commitment to public safety.
- Presenting partners are asked to demonstrate their ability to adapt to the different phases of the province’s Open for Summer Plan and work within the partner venue’s and RISE UP’s COVID-19 mitigation protocols as required.
- Presenting partners who are, or who present, local artists will be given priority.
- The applicant has clearly demonstrated who they will connect with through this project. This could include artists, collaborators, partners, members, volunteers, participants, or audiences that are part of their overall artistic mandate, or who will experience this work.
- The applicant has clearly demonstrated why this project is important to the communities they’ve identified and how they are considering them.
- What is the likelihood that the presentation being proposed will be able to pivot and adapt in the face of changing public health restrictions?
- Does the applicant clearly demonstrate how they will successfully manage all aspects of the performance logistics and management?
- Please describe the roles of your team members or others you will be working with.
- Describe in detail your ability to execute the performance/program you have proposed.
- Submissions open at 5 pm MST on June 17, 2021.
- Submissions close at 5 pm MST on June 24, 2021.
- Preliminarily selected presenting partners may be contacted June 24-25, 2021 to submit additional information to be reviewed by the RISE UP team.
- Final selected presenting partners will be matched with selected safe-site venue partners by the week of June 28, 2021.
- RISE UP Weekends 2021 dates will be announced on the RISE UP Calgary website.
What to Include in the Initial Submission Form:
- Presenting organization/group/individual name, contact information and website/social media links (to view photos, previous performances/events and COVID-19 mitigation precautions taken)
- Description of the proposed performance/presentation/program, including target audience, length and show flow or call sheet
- List of staff/volunteers/artists required to produce the performance package (stage manager, production manager, number of performers, etc.)
- Top three safe-site partner venues best suited for performance based on the list of venues and their venue specifics provided in the RISE UP rental agreement
- COVID-19 performance safety protocols
- Project budget
- Please specify if you want to apply for support for a future scheduled program already confirmed with an approved venue partner.
Presenting Partner Selection Process:
- Selection of presenting partners will be made by a jury of event industry experts, RISE UP steering committee members and community partners.
For questions please contact the RISE UP Calgary team: firstname.lastname@example.org