September 17, 2021
Tourism Calgary’s focus is on the health and safety of all residents and visitors in accordance with the Province of Alberta and Government of Canada. Effective September 16, 2021 the Government of Alberta enacted a state of public health emergency resulting in new measures to reduce the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic’s fourth wave in Alberta.
For those planning travel to Calgary, we encourage you to take all of the necessary precautions and familiarize yourselves with the applicable COVID-19 safety measures and restrictions. As you plan your trip, please know that effective September 20, 2021:
- Restaurants, cafes, bars, pubs and nightclubs require proof of vaccination (or negative test result) to continue operating as usual OR are restricted to outdoor dining only with a maximum of 6 people per table (one household or 2 close contacts for those living alone).
- Indoor entertainment, event and recreation facilities require proof of vaccination (or negative test result) to continue operating as usual OR must reduce capacity to 1/3 and limit attendees to household members only, or 2 close contacts if they live alone.
- Retail stores and shopping malls do not require proof of vaccination, but are limited to 1/3 capacity and require attendees to only shop with household members, or 2 close contacts if they live alone.
Masks are also required in all indoor public spaces across Alberta.
If you are interested in a specific event or attraction in Calgary, we recommend confirming information directly with the individual business via their website or social media feeds.
Traveller Checklist for Visiting Calgary
Please ensure you have the following items when exploring Calgary:
- A non-medical mask
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination OR recent negative COVID-19 test result
- Access to alberta.ca for the most up-to-date COVID-19 information on restrictions - https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
For additional COVID-19 information please refer to the following resources:
The Government of Alberta has the most current information on travelling to Alberta during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The City of Calgary has details on safety measures being taken locally.
Alberta Parks are open with the necessary safety measurement in place.
All live sport and entertainment events hosted at the Scotiabank Saddledome and McMahon Stadium require all fans (eligible to receive the vaccine), event staff and employees to be fully vaccinated in order to attend. For all other attractions and venues, please refer to the individual business via their website or social media feeds.
Check out some tips for How to Visit Calgary Safely During COVID-19.
Please call Health Link 811 at the first sign of symptoms before going to a health care facility, unless severely ill.