Population: 1,120,225 (April 2012 Civic Census)
Land Area: 745 sq. km
Nicknames: Stampede City, Gateway to the Rockies
Main industries: Calgary is known as a hub for national and international business including oil and gas, information technology, telecommunications, agriculture and financial services industries.
Year it became a city: 1894. Calgary was originally a fort created by the North-West Mounted Police at the junction of the Bow and Elbow rivers back in 1875.
Rank: #1 (against 200 Canadian cities) - Overall Best Places to Live, MoneySense 2013
Provincial sales tax: None.
Climate: Calgary receives more sunshine than any major Canadian city: 2,400 hours a year.
Parkland: Calgary has more than 10,000 hectares of urban parks and open spaces within its city limits. It also has one of the most extensive urban pathway networks in the country with more than 700 km of walking and bicycle paths.
A few things Calgary has given the world:
- Ginger beef
- The Caesar cocktail
- North American polo
- The Java computer programming language
Explore Calgary - Backgrounder
- Chef Darren MacLean of downtownfood takes home Calgary's 2013 Vancouver Aquarium Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Championship
- Conservative Party National Convention
- Flood Recovery - Important Dates for Businesses
- Calgary Zoo Reopens & Zoolights is back for its 16th year
- Canadian Tourism Commission Releases August 2013 Tourism Snapshot
- Alberta’s Tourism Framework
- Tourism Calgary congratulates Calgary Gold Medal Plate Winners
- Alberta Tourism Market Monitor
- Congratulations 2013 Alto Award Winners
- Talisman Centre Now Fully Open
- Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra trick and treat customers of Double Zero
- Work Begins on Fort Calgary Expansion Thanks to Federal-Provincial Partnership
- Calgary flooded with praise at the 2013 Tourism Alberta Awards
- Village Brewery Named Calgary's Small Business of the Year
- Tourism Calgary attends Showcase Canada-Asia Marketplace
- DerTour comes to Alberta December 2-6 - Information & Participation Opportunities
- Tourism Calgary Vice-President of Marketing Announcement
- Tourism Calgary tells Calgary stories at GoMedia and Travel Classics Conference
- New Visitor Information Centre Screens
- Travel Alberta Premier Learning Opportunities
- Your Calgary Zoo is back - and Zoolights too!