Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance Announces 2014 CSTA PRESTIGE Awards Finalists
Ottawa, February 27, 2014.
The Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance (CSTA) is pleased to announce the finalists of the 2014 PRESTIGE Awards (Program Recognizing Exceptional Sport Tourism Initiatives, Games & Events), which celebrate the people, places and events that make the Canadian sport tourism industry so dynamic and important to the economic fabric of our communities.
These awards are presented annually in six categories to individuals, companies, events and organizations that have made outstanding contributions to the success of the sport tourism industry across Canada in 2013. This year’s program generated 41 nominations.
The 8th Annual CSTA PRESTIGE Awards Luncheon presented by Saskatoon Sports Tourism will take place on Wednesday, April 2, 2014 at Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton, AB. Olympic Gold Medalist and CBC Hockey Night in Canada Sportscaster, Cassie Campbell-Pascall will be the Master of Ceremonies. The Luncheon will be held in conjunction with Sport Events Congress 2014 taking place April 1-3 at the same venue.
2014 PRESTIGE Awards Finalists (by category in alphabetical order)
CSTA Canadian Sport Event of the Year Award presented by Tourism Montreal
Group A: with an event budget greater than $250,000
- 101st Grey Cup Festival (Regina, SK)
- Canada Summer Games (Sherbrooke, QC)
- Shaw Charity Classic (Calgary, AB)
Group B: with an event budget less than $250,000
- 2013 Canadian Judo National Championships (Richmond, BC)
- 2013 Mastercraft Calgary Pro Shootout (Calgary, AB)
- 2013 World Ball Hockey Championships (St. John’s, NL)
CSTA International Sport Event of the Year presented by RTO4 (Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge-Guelph)
- 2013 ICF Junior and Under 23 Canoe Sprint World Championships (Welland, ON)
- IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship (Ottawa, ON)
- ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2013 (London, ON)
CSTA Sport Tourism Organization of the Year Award presented by WestJet
- Calgary Sport Tourism Authority (Calgary, AB)
- Richmond Sport Hosting (Richmond, BC)
- Welland Recreational Canal Corporation (Welland, ON)
CSTA Sport Event Volunteer of the Year Award presented by Sheraton Centre Toronto
- Alice Humeny – Chair, ISU Essent World Cup (Calgary, AB)
- Michael Jackstein – Vice President, 2013 Special Olympics Summer Games (Langley, BC)
- Todd Sargeant - Co-Chair, London Blizzard Sledge Hockey Tournament (London, ON)
CSTA Sport Event Sponsor of the Year Award presented by ADUP Display
- 3M Canada – ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2013 (London, ON)
- Cameco Corporation - MasterCard Memorial Cup (Saskatoon, SK)
- Shaw Communications – Shaw Charity Classic (Calgary, AB)
CSTA Sport Tourism Champion of the Year Award presented by Tourism Toronto
- Eddie Francis (Mayor, Windsor, ON)
- Greg Krischke (Mayor, Leduc, AB)
- John Winston (General Manager, London Tourism, London, ON)
Tickets to the PRESTIGE Awards luncheon are included with delegates’ fees for those who are registered delegates at Sport Events Congress. Tickets are also available for purchase on a stand-alone basis, subject to availability. Cost is $75 + tax per person and includes attendance to the awards show and lunch. Reserved seating is available for groups of 5 people or more. For more information about Sport Events Congress, the PRESTIGE luncheon or to purchase of tickets or register for the Congress, visit CSTA’s website at: www.canadiansporttourism.com
The Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance is a member driven, tourism industry led organization that promotes sport tourism as a key economic development initiative at the community level. The CSTA services over 300 members across Canada, including 140 municipalities, 150 national/provincial sport, multi-sport and major games organizations and variety of other national and provincial sport and tourism industry partners.
For more information, contact:
Tel: (613) 523-7617